Saturday, March 21, 2015

Winter Hair And Crisco-What I Did For My Natural Hair This Winter



Okay so winter is the hardest on natural hair. It makes your hair dry.  Air drying becomes a major problem, health hazard and COLD freezing freaking cold!  I found that the following products made my hair hydrated, less frizzy and it gave me fewer wash days.  Now the Kinky-Curly makes my hair perfect every time but I save those products for the days I need to look my best.  I needed to find a cheaper way to look good on regular days.  I needed to find a way to make my wash and go last longer than one day.  Please note: I only air dry my hair so 30 degree temps are extremely cold for me.  I needed something to seal the moisture in my hair for a few days.  Crisco, yes I said it, crisco did the trick.  Not only did it seal in the moisture from the two conditioners I put in my hair but it cut down on tangles.  In fact many people use crisco to detangle their hair.  I have read some people online complaining about build up from crisco but I never had that problem.

Here was my routine:
1. Wet hair completely down
2. Wash Hair with Herbal Essence Cleansing Conditioner (Co-Washing)
3. Rinse
4. Condition with Pantene Repair & Protect
5. Wash the rest of my body and after maybe slightly rinse out conditioner.  I leave some of this product in my hair.
6. Apply Pantene Curl Perfection Conditioner and I leave it in; only adding a little water to work it through if needed.
7. Take a dab or two of crisco, melt it with your hands body heat and distribute through your hair.  This seals in moisture and keeps the frizz down.  My hair also felt silky to the touch.

I am writing this info down because by next winter I may forget what I learned or I may have a completely new routine.  The crisco worked better for my hair than coconut oil.  I think because coconut oil gets hard in cold weather and the crisco melted into my hair strands smoother.  This is what worked for me.  You need to find out what works for your hair in winter.

So my winter hair products are:

Crisco
Herbal Essence Naked Cleansing Conditioner
Pantene Repair & Protect Conditioner
Pantene Curl Perfection Conditioner
Kinky-Curly Knot Today and Curling Custard
I also did Caramel Treatment