Monday, March 30, 2015

Spring And Natural Hair-Time To Get Your Hair Healthy, Manageable, And Beautiful



Okay so we are all worried about swimsuit season and summer fashion.  Many of us are on a diet and working out.  Many of us are failing at diets and our workouts, lol.  We can't just concentrate on our body people.  Remember your hair is your crowning glory.  Frankly it doesn't matter what size you are or how your hair looks but your hair is something you can improve and not suffer in the process. (I'm on a diet right now and I am suffering.  This sucks but working on my hair is fun.) What makes beautiful hair beautiful? For me beautiful hair is healthy, soft, has a personality, and enhances everything beautiful about your face.  I know if I take care of my hair this Spring I will have beautiful hair this summer.  My hair goals are as follows:

1. Cut down on the frizz
2. Cut down on the shrinkage
3. Stop shedding and breakage
4. Healthy in looks and feel (soft and thick)
5. Shiny

You know there is only one major thing I have to do besides eat right to get the above results.  Keep my strands hydrated!!!! I can't slack off.  I must be diligent.  First of all I am changing my routine.  I am not going to do the caramel treatment this spring.  Don't get me wrong I love this treatment but I want to do something a little less labor intensive.  On the same day years ago that I found the caramel treatment I also found (on the same site) a coconut milk & lime treatment.  I chose the caramel treatment because the coconut milk lime treatment was a relaxer.  I don't want to relax my curls I want to hydrate them so I never looked at that recipe again until last week.  I know that the more hydrated my curls are the looser they are that's why I love Kinky-Curly products.  My mind started thinking people put lemon and lime in their hair all the time.   Lime isn't a relaxer.  Coconut milk provides protein and adds softness to hair but it is not a relaxer! Oh snap said the blind woman who couldn't get pass that word relaxer! The coconut milk & lime treatment is not a relaxer!!! It is a serious hair hydrator.

Okay so I made up a batch for every woman in my family.  Tested on my mom's 2c-3a combination hair first.  She never takes care of it so it is always dry.  I worked it through her hair and her hair was absorbing it all in and loving it.  She left it on for an hour, washed it out and bam! Her hair looked healthy, shiny, and shrinkage was cut by about 25%.  Oh and frizz was like way down.  Did it relax her hair? No! Her curls or waves are still there.  So, coconut milk & lime is a super conditioning protein treatment.  I next tested the treatment on myself and since my hair is a 3b-3c-4a combo I thought I needed to leave it in my hair longer.  Problem is I have healthy but not very hydrated hair.  I left it in for 3.5 hours.  It did not relax my hair.  It made my hair soft and less frizzy but I feel like I got too much protein.  I had to really use a lot of conditioner to fix that over protein feeling.  Too much protein on healthy hair can make it brittle.  My hair wasn't brittle but I could just tell I left the treatment in too long.  Bottom line this is not a relaxer.  It is the hydration that loosens the curls and stops shrinkage.

My spring routine will be as follows:

1. Coconut Milk Lime Treatment (click to get my version) Will do once a week
2. Leave-in, Oil, Cream method for styling (I have not chosen which products I will use but you can find more info by clicking on the link or going to my Pinterest page Long Curly Hair Inspiration.
3.Coconut Milk and Aloe "Shampoo"




No comments: