Sunday, May 13, 2018

Family and Success: UBUNTU "I Am Because We Are"


Love Yascone at the Omni Hotel
She will always hold a place for family
UBUNTU 

It has been hard for a lot of families this year.  Actually, it feels like family relationships have been challenged for the past few years.  It has been more than a year since I posted on this blog.  I knew since last year what I wanted to say but I could never find a good jumping off point.  Over the last two years I noticed there were so many things I wanted to share with my family.  So many things I have learned, experienced and enjoyed. I wanted to really share with my mother, sisters, grandmother, aunts and all the rest.  I noticed that even when we all attended the same events my family would miss something that to me was a major moment.  I found that when I tried to explain these moments and experiences a lot of times they would fall on deaf ears.  It was then that I realized one of the purposes of this blog.  It was to share with my family.  I wanted to share what I discovered and let’s face it a lot of times we forget the most interesting things we learn.  Still, why is it so important to me?

On Facebook I discovered a way of life that explains my need to share.  I found this pic (I Think on Earth Tribe).  Its teachings are very clear.  Cross the finish line together.

I am one of those people who could have easily crossed the finish line of life alone.  In fact, success can find me easily when I am alone.  The problem is I always felt the way of UBUNTU.  Since the day I was born I knew being the one with all the toys was not true success.  I also knew that getting to the top and reaching back, was for me anyway, not a true victory.  I always saw my life as walking hand in hand with my tribe.  There is no need for a savior if you all go together.  In America UBUNTU is not a way of life.  We are taught the opposite.  Someone with my particular nature here in the USA at best can be viewed as naïve and at worst…crazy.  In fact I did not know that this way of life was a real thing until last week, when I needed to see this the most, UBUNTU. 

I don’t know if I felt this way due to cellular memory or if it is just my spirit nature.  What I do know is that I am not crazy, I am not naïve, but I am a person in a country that does not understand the meaning of UBUNTU.  I need to adjust.  I need to learn how to hold open a space while I move forward.  It is my intention to hold open a space for my tribe so that whenever an individual is ready they can join me.  This blog is just one of those tools.  It is one way to bring my tribe with me.  “I am because WE are.”  For me success is impossible if I forget that.